95 Points Vinous "The utterly classic 2000 Montepulciano d’Abruzzo Vecchie Vigne wafts up with an earthy mix of underbrush, savory herbs and musky animal tones before releasing its hints of mulled cherry and crushed plums. This enters the palate with the silkiest of textures that communicate pure elegance and balance. Ripe red fruits saturate and leave a mineral staining under an air of tobacco. Through it all, a core of vibrant acidity maintains perfect balance. The 2000 finishes lightly structured, long and buzzing with energy. This textbook vintage of Emidio Pepe is a pure pleasure to taste and has many years of steady, positive evolution packed into it. That said, make sure to give the wine some time to open in bottle to really unlock its aromatics. What a darling."
- Benchmark producer of Montepulciano and Trebbiano d’Abruzzo
- Pioneer of Biodynamic winemaking in Italy
- No oak used at all in the winemaking process – fermentations in cement and then aged in bottle
- Red grapes are crushed by hand, white grapes are crushed by foot
- These are some of the most ageworthy, legendary wines in Italy