JS 92-93, WS 91-94, RP 90-92
In the early 20th century, the négociant firm of Eschenauer, headed by the famous “Uncle Louis” Eschenauer, sold the wine and ended up buying the château in 1958.
In the 14th century, Verrier du Dubosc signed the first recorded deeds for this estate including a few vines. George Smith, a Scottish wine merchant, acquired the property in the mid-18th century and named it after himself.
Lodi Martin Duffour-Dubergier, Mayor of Bordeaux and signer of the official 1855 classification, acquired the estate in 1842 and brought it up to Grand Cru Exceptionnel level.
Florence and Daniel Cathiard fell in love with Château Smith Haut Lafitte in 1990 and acquired it with the firm intention of perpetuating the wine’s tradition of excellence.
“Our philosophy can be summed up in one sentence – to do everything possible to make each vintage of red and white wine worthy of our magnificent terroir “.
After three years spent renovating the estate, the Cathiards came to live there, in the 18th century chartreuse dating from George Smith’s time, in order to devote themselves to overseeing winegrowing with the help of a talented and motivated team.