Since 1840 –the year in which the Château was first mentioned among the first growths of Pessac-Léognan – till today, the fame of Château Larrivet Haut-Brion has continued growing.
Called at various times Château de Canolle, La Rivette, and Château Brion-Larrivet, the estate was renamed Château Haut-Brion Larrivet by the owner Ernest Laurent (a Bordeaux négociant) in 1874.
In 1893, the estate was acquired by the Bordeaux ship owners, Les Fils de Théodor Conseil, who enlarged the vineyards to some 50 hectares.
A trip back in time takes us to 1898, a fabulous year in which the Féret "Bordeaux and its Wines" rated the château a Graves cru exceptionnel.
Wine production was almost non-existent during the depression of the 1930s, at which time many vines were uprooted.
The property was given its current name, Château Larrivet Haut-Brion, in 1949 by Jacques Guillemaud (owner since 1941). Devoted and hard-working, he conscientiously managed the estate until 1982.