An anomaly in a region where most producers source their grapes, Casa de Santa Eufemia, a grower port estate, was founded in 1894 by Bemardo Rodrigues de Carvalho. Located on the left bank of the Douro, in one of the oldest demarcated wine regions in the world, Santa Eufemia is now run by the sibling duo, Pedro and Lucia Carvalho. Growing grapes and producing port since the estate's inception, it wasn't until 1986 when Portugal joined the EU, that Casa de Santa Eufemia could legally vinify, bottle and sell or export the wine that it had been making for years. Within the 60 acres of field blends (of 20+ varietals) that are designated to the production of port wines, Pedro and Lucia cultivate varietals that are nearing extinction in Portugal, including Bastardo, Mourisco Tinto, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Barroca and Tinta Carvalha. Purple in color with aromas of very mature red fruit (blackberries, red plum figs), in the mouth it is a full-bodied and round wine with a long and persistent finish.